Wednesday, July 16, 2014

New Perspectives: Fronts & Backs of Projects

I try to incorporate both the fronts and backs of projects into my pieces, whenever possible. 
Front side: patches machine-stitched onto a piece of felted sweater.
I think both sides have beautiful elements to them--I actually think that sometimes the back of a project is more beautiful than the front--and more surprising.
Back side: now the geometric stitching is the focus. Completely different.
When I knit, I put so much thought into the outer pattern, and I carefully try to control the way the colors interact.  But when I look at the finished product, it is often the more impressionistic, fluid back that interests me.
An unfinished knit piece I acquired.
(left=back side) (right=front side)
I find that by looking at the piece from all sides, I gain a greater appreciation for the medium, and a greater understanding for how it can be used. 

Stitching is functional, but it can also create an interesting pattern or visual effect.
Even embroidery and stitching can create a beautiful effect.
Whenever I'm stuck, I can usually get new ideas just by turning a piece upside-down or inside-out.  I actually find that I often like an abstract painting that I've labored over better if I turn it so a different side is up!


It can be helpful to keep samples, or a photo collection, or notes, to help you remember particularly interesting techniques.  You never know when you'll need some inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks for your comments...