Sunday, May 10, 2015

For My Mom

Did you know that in the early 1800s, "Mother's Day Work Clubs" helped fundraise for and assist people in their communities?  During and after the U.S. Civil War, Mother's Day events also centered around peace, familial reunification, and better sanitation in army camps.  For more information, feel free to check out Ann Maria Reeves Jarvis, whose Work Clubs nursed and cared for soldiers from both armies.  And here is a link to Julia Ward Howe's Mother's Day (Anti-War) Proclamation.

 
My Mom has been an activist all my life.  When I was little, I would often join her at her marches. The photo below is from a strike for AGSE.  A few years later, my mom happened to get a fortune cookie fortune that stated, "You are demonstrative with those how love."  A lover of puns and corny jokes, my mom stuck the fortune up on the photo of us at the march.  The two have been framed together ever since (sorry the glare is so bad!).

 
Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  Love you!

2 comments:

I look forward to hearing from you! Thanks for your comments...